Fun Activities to Help Countdown to Election 2012
10 Fun Activities to Help Countdown To Election Day 2012
The official countdown has begun to Election Day. With a few short days left, we decided to create a list of 10* fun activities to do with your kids. Everyday moments can be teaching opportunities and we hope these inspire you and yours.
Oct 28: Learn/Sing some patriotic songs.
Oct 29: Go to the library or bookstore and exercise your rights. You can find all the books we picked on Amazon.
- This Land Is Your Land by Woody Guthrie | Grade Level: P and up
- Woodrow, the White House Mouse by Peter W. Barnes | Grade Level: P and up
- Grace for President by Kelly DiPucchio | Grade Level: K and up
- A is for America by Devin Scillian | Grade Level: 1 and up
- If I Ran For President by Catherine Stier | Grade Level: 1 and up
- Wackiest White House Pets by Gibbs Davis | Grade Level: 2 and up
- The Kid Who Ran For President by Dan Gutman | Grade Level: 3 and up
- Your favorite President
- Your favorite First Lady
- Our Lady Liberty
- Paul Revere
- Uncle Sam
Nov 1: Play Pretend: Host a debate in the living room on an issue that affects your family.
Nov 2: Have your kids write a speech and present it to the family at dinner on why they should be president. Watch this great video of a winning speech done by a 5th grader running for Vice President of his class.
Nov 3: Play a car-game today. Whether you are running errands or off to soccer practice- take turns filling in this statement: “If I were president for a day, I would _______.”
Nov 4: Sunday is a perfect day for a Road-Trip. Why not take a field trip to a local monument, or historical point of interest? Need help figuring out your destination? Try visiting the National Park Service website.
Nov 5: Show your colors. Encourage your family to wear red white & blue today to remind those able to vote tomorrow.
Nov 6: It’s Election Day so bring your kids to the polls with you so they can experience the privilege with you.
*Here are some other ideas to try!
- Make a calendar and have your kid(s) mark off the days until November 6th.
- Check out this free activity from K12 with instruction by Betsy Ross,
- Make a healthy Election Day Dish for dessert,
- Host an All-American Spelling Bee.
Our Word Picks: