Teacher Appreciation Week 2012
Teachers affect eternity; no one can tell where their influence stops. - Henry Brooks Adams
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. - William Butler Yeats
Teaching is the one profession that creates all other professions. - Unknown
Education is not to reform students or amuse them or to make them expert technicians. It is to unsettle their minds, widen their horizons, inflame their intellects, teach them to think straight, if possible.- Robert M. Hutchins
Today starts the beginning of Teacher Appreciation Week! It's a week set aside to honor educators around the country and thank them for helping ensure every student receives a quality education. Students around the country will be taking time to show and tell their teachers, both online and brick and mortar, how much they mean to them. It's not only the students who appreciate those that help our kids. Everyone here at K12 recognizes the immense impact teachers have, not only on their students, but on their families as well! Online teachers are leaders in a movement to "help educate the world by changing the way the world is educated."
Did you know that most online teachers have seven to 15 years of traditional classroom teaching experience? Many choose to become online teachers so they can take advantage of the flexibility and the interactive and dynamic environment of a virtual classroom. Also, online teachers do not have to handle many of the same issues as their brick and mortar counterparts. There is no crowd control to address or lesson plans to create regularly, so they can use that time to develop relationships with their students' parents and help address issues and highlight successes as they happen, not just when school conferences are scheduled. This regular, two-way line of communication can be instrumental in further individualizing their student's education, diagnosing potential issues and creating plans to address those issues. It helps create a unified team approach to helping kids learn.
Our families know how important teachers are...
- We love AZVA. My children are doing exceptionally well and we love the fact that it is tuition free with an amazing curriculum. When one of our daughters became too sick to attend a brick-and-mortar school, I worried over being able to afford a good curriculum. We were blessed to discover families in our area who told us about this wonderful opportunity. Now both of my elementary and middle-school aged children attend AZVA. Thank you!" -- Celeste B., AZVA parent
- "I love Agora for many reasons! ...Our teachers are so helpful and supportive! They really understand that every child is unique. I am so thankful that my family has had the opportunity to do cyberschooling at home. It has been such a blessing for us!" -- K. Jumper, Parent of two children enrolled in Agora, Kindergarten and grade 4
- I just finished looking at the some test scores for my daughter. The daughter, who I was told by a school psychologist that she was "functionally retarded", the daughter who, after filling out a bubble sheet assessment, I was told that I could take that sheet of paper in to any doctor to get a prescription for ADD/ADHD medications, the one who I was told would not be helped in any way by holding her back. This same daughter, after 1 and 1/2 yrs in an online charter school now tests AT GRADE LEVEL and is even slightly above the national average. Thank you K12 and Idaho Virtual Academy - Theresa W., IDVA parent
- “My seventh grader, who was opposed to the whole virtual school idea from the beginning (for social reasons), now loves it…She knew that it was difficult for her to learn in a classroom setting. Through the years it broke my heart to watch her come home frustrated because she couldn't pick things up quickly like the other children. Math, which was the subject she disliked the most, is now her favorite subject. Thank you K¹²—the future is endless.” - Shannon Y., parent of a seventh grade student
- I just can't say THANK YOU enough! Nor can I stop praising you and your school either! I tell everyone I come across what an AWESOME school WAVA is! How you guys do it I just don't know! My son loved this game! He is 6 but is in 3rd grade math and thought this was a fun way to practice his addition/subtraction and made a much more visual lesson on how to approach word problems! I wish they had taught school like this when I was a kid I would of done SO MUCH better then I had! Thank you and hopefully Middle School will be coming soon as my 5th grader just missed being able to use this awesome program!
- Mrs. G is an exceptional teacher. She has made Algebra 1 one of my daughter's favorite subjects. Prior to Mrs. G., Math was a long, gruesome experience. I never knew a virtual teacher could be so personable. She brings out the best in my daughter's math abilities, and I am extremely greatful. According to my daughter, "She is awesome!" - WAVA parent
- I have three children with K12; a freshman, 4th and 1st graders. I can say....each and every single one of their teachers are amazing, answer questions in a timely manner, understanding, great teachers. All of them! MVCA! We love you teachers AND administrators! -- Jennifer C., MVCA parent
- They have a passion for teaching us!! They never get annoyed with my questions, one after one they answer them without a mumble or complain(i hope) :) I am very happy with all my high school teachers!! :) -- Nicole C., K12 parent
- Our oldest will never forget when her art teacher personally sent her some paint brushes. It was very thoughtful. We've had wonderful experiences with our teachers, always willing to make extra time if needed, sending ecards and special notes. WYVA is great. :) -- Diane H., WYVA parent
- Over the past 3 years my family has had and still has, amazing teachers, so supportive, caring, understanding, beyond helpful. We couldn't ask for better teachers. I'd like to thank Mrs. Ebert, Mrs. Stewart, Mrs. Manley and Mrs. Bohanan for being every thing a teacher should be and more. You all have made our transition from public school into home school so easy. We love K12 and CAVA!! :) -- Nance W, CAVA parent
- My kids teachers make them feel so good about themselves and complement them each class. I appreciate the teachers making it fun and engaging for the kids to get involved! -- Deborah D., K12 parent
This week, make sure to thank a teacher, past and/or present!