Try Something New: Digital Learning Day 2.1.12
A few weeks ago, I wrote about Digital Learning Day and how it's a day to celebrate innovative teaching and learning through digital media and technology to engage students and provide them with a enriching, personalized educational experience.
Well Digital Learning Day is TODAY and it's time for all of us -- parents, teachers, and students -- to spend some time exploring how technology can help improve student outcomes. Spend time today using digital tools and experiencing how they can enhance teaching and learning. Try something new! Use a new learning method you have read about or explore a learning game -- the sky's the limit.
According to the creators of Digital Learning Day, "digital learning can include using online and formative assessment, increasing focus and quality of teaching resources and time, online content and courses, applications of technology in the classroom and school building, adaptive software for students with special needs, learning platforms, participating in professional communities of practice, providing access to high level and challenging content and instruction, and many other advancements technology provides to teaching and learning".
Here are some of our suggestions:
- Read What's in your Digital Backpack and try some of the digital tools highlighted.
- Include a relevant documentary or digital short in your studies using Snagfilms.com, a collection of independent movies you can watch for free, including many documentaries.
- Try some new learning games.
- Take a Virtual Field Trip.
- Explore using e-books.
- Research examples of digital learning programs in and out of the school space.
What are you going to try to celebrate Digital Learning Day? Share your ideas so we can all explore and experience how technology can transform the way we learn!